Monday, December 21, 2015

As it sits today, I'm writing this update as a cancer survivor. I was diagnosed on December 9 and had it cut out of my body on December 15. I'm short a thyroid and 28 lymph nodes (turns out I'm just fine without 'em.) I'm nearly a week into the healing process and I'm not sure that the reality of life has caught up with me. I still have a tube draining my neck into a little bulb that I have to empty and measure. I wait for the day my output is less than 30cc, so I can have it removed. So in case you're wondering (like a lot of people are.) My doctors have no plans for further treatment. No chemo, radiation, radioactive iodine, etc. They feel confident they were able to cut all of the cancer out. People are sort of tip-toe around me and conversation with some is awkward...then again, that's not really new. It feels so surreal to be the patient, to be talking about me. Especially having been at hospitals and with doctors that normally would be treating Ellie. Proof God has a sense of humor and an even bigger sense of provision. 

In some senses I've always felt like a sparrow; small, insignificant, self-reliant, able, and thrifty like the little birds that build their nests from this or that in the most random, farm locations. I've felt forgotten and ignored but also loved and included. I've read the verse about how God provides for even the sparrows. I've known triumph, struggle and defeat; in full measure. Now, in this season I feel most deeply the provision, the care and the LOVE that God has for me. Never before in my life have I truly FELT the provision and love of God like I do now. I've seen his people at work, I've felt them jump into action at disaster. Today though, it is different. As I look at the entire context of the past few weeks, there is no logical or medical or social explanation for the timeline of events, the insight given in advance, for the memories at perfect moments , other than the Holy Spirit. It's too much to explain away or count to chance or luck or any other such thing. It's only feasible that Someone went along, years in advance of this last month and made plans; arranging the details that needed to be in place. This has given me such a great sense of His Holy, perfect ways. It has made me grateful. What an amazing Father, that I have. One who loves, cares, and provides, One who forgives, comforts and heals...me. 

I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment